Zoom is a free to use instant messaging and web conferencing tool used by Athens State University for students, staff, and faculty to quickly and easily communicate back with one another. Zoom meetings (web conferencing) using free accounts are limited to the number of possible participants and the duration of the meeting. For specifics on these limitations, please see Basic (Free) Plan under the Zoom Pricing site. The free account is ideal for various situations including impromptu meetings, student advising, and virtual office hours.
You will need to have installed the Zoom Instant Messenger and located / added contacts in order to be able send a contact an instant message. Once you have completed the above two requirements, you can send instant messages by completing the following steps:
- Open the Zoom Instant Messenger tool and login. Once you have logged in, the tool should appear on the screen. (see image below)
- To view your groups and contacts, click “Contacts” on the bottom of the tool. (see image below)
- Locate the contact you wish to communicate with in your contact list.
- Determine whether or not the contact is currently available for chat by looking at the icon next to their name. If there is a green circle with “Available” next to it, the contact has a high probability of being available for instant messaging. (see image below)
- Click on the contact and a chat window will appear. Begin typing your message in the chat portion at the bottom of the window. Hit enter on the keyboard to send your message.
- If the individual on the receiving end is available for chat, they will begin talking back and forth with you on the chat screen. Send message back to the individual by typing in the chat area and hitting enter as you did to initiate the conversation.