The following comprehensive system requirements are the recommended minimum computer specifications for taking courses online at Athens State University, where you will be using a number of integrated educational software delivery services, including Blackboard Learn™, Blackboard Collaborate Ultra™, McGraw-Hill Tegrity®, Respondus LockDown Browser™, among others.
- Macintosh OS X (10.10 or higher) or Windows PC (7 or higher)
- 4GB RAM (8GB RAM or more is highly recommended)
- 20GB of available hard-drive space
- Screen resolution set to 1280x1024
- Broadband/high-speed uninterrupted Internet access
- Webcam, microphone and speakers
(a wearable headset is highly recommended)
Please note: Google Chromebook computers are not supported on some applications.
It is very important that you use a supported browser when using Blackboard Learn™ so that all course content and the course tools display properly. The very latest editions of Mozilla FireFox, Apple Safari, and Google Chrome should work fine on most devices (we do not recommend using Microsoft Edge, and Microsoft Internet Explorer is not a supported browser). We recommend installing multiple browsers for use with our technologies, especially if one results in an error message. Please try using a different browser to see if you experience the same results before contacting help desk support.
At times, you may be required to view and listen to instructional content within your course which require additional software to be installed. For example, your instructor may upload an audio file for you to listen to, or post a video clip for you to watch. The browser you currently use to access Blackboard Learn™ may not always have the required software ("plug-in") installed to properly view or play such files. To run a quick browser test, click here to ensure that your browser has the most commonly used plug-ins already installed.
Additional Browser Configuration Considerations
- The latest version of Java should be installed.
- The latest version of Windows Media Player should be installed (PC users only).
- Pop-up window blockers should be disabled, as they can conflict with online exams and assignments.
- Add the following domains to your browser's list of trusted websites:
- Enable your browser to allow mixed content in order to avoid non-secure content warnings.
Respondus LockDown Browser™
If your instructors require the use of Respondus LockDown Browser™ for taking exams online, this software must be downloaded from our website and installed onto your computer prior to taking an online test. We recommend that you download and install Respondus LockDown Browser™ at the beginning of the semester, prior to taking your first online exam. Review the system requirements before installation, and refer to these instructions for how to take your exam using Respondus LockDown Browser™.
System Requirements for Additional Online Tools
Your instructors may elect to use a number of additional software services within your courses for online delivery. Please refer to the system requirements below for each of the services your instructors require you to access within your courses:
- Blackboard Collaborate™ Ultra
- McGraw-Hill Tegrity® (viewing requirements) | (recording and proctoring requirements)
- NBC Learn
- SoftChalk Cloud